Créme Brûlée is one of my favourite things in the world to eat, and Manuka Honey is the perfect addition to this classical recipe to modernise it without ruining the flavour profile.
A Brûlée is very much a baked custard with a caramelised sugar topping. You know you’ve done well when you get to crack your spoon through the top layer, there is something so satisfying about the sound of it. You don’t need anything fancy to perfect these delicious desserts.
- Preheat oven to 150*C. In a mixing bowl whisk egg yolks, vanilla, orange zest and New Zealand Honey Co. UMF™ Raw Manuka Honey together until smooth and well combined.
- Slowly pour the cream into the egg mixture, whisking continuously. Place mixture evenly into six ramekins. A jug can make this easier if needed.
- Place ramekins in a large baking dish. Pour enough hot water to reach halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Carefully transfer to the oven and cook for 50-60 minutes until the Brûlée is just set, with a slight wobble to the middle of them. Allow to cool slightly, and then place in the fridge for at least 3 hours if you are using a blowtorch (or in the freezer for 30 minutes) to set, or 8 hours if you are planning on using the oven grill.
- When you are ready to serve, evenly sprinkle 1 tsp sugar over each Brûlée. Use a cooks blowtorch to caramelise the sugar; the caramel will harden after about 1 minute. If you don’t have a blow torch, allow the creme brulees to set in the fridge for at least 8 hours (or overnight) until they are very cold, then sprinkle with sugar and place under a hot grill (with the ocean door open) for 1 minute to caramelise.
Manuka Honey, is a superfood that has special antimicrobial¹ properties that can support your wellness journey. It is often used by people as a daily boost, for sore throats ², as natural skincare, and is great for topical use on scrapes and cuts³.
Now you don’t have to make an excuse as to why you are making this yummy dessert.
Here's some other tasty recipes for you to enjoy:
- Chamomile and Manuka Honey Cake
- Eat the Rainbow for Natural Wellness
- Top 4 Superfoods and a decadent healthy dessert
- Salted Caramel Bliss Balls Manuka Honey