Acne can occur from many factors such as stress, hormone changes, poor diet, pollution and genetics.
Manuka Honey has been used on skin for years and has become even more popular recently following the discovery of methylglyoxal (MGO) and hydrogen peroxide, two chemical compounds found in Manuka Honey.
In ancient times honey was used by humans for its natural healing properties. Cleopatra has even been said to bathe in donkey milk and honey to preserve her soft skin and natural beauty.
Why should I use Manuka Honey for my skin?
Manuka Honey is made up of sugars (glucose and fructose), amino acids, vitamins and minerals, hydrogen peroxide and MGO (methylglyoxal). MGO is the compound found in Manuka Honey, which determines strength, making it effective against harmful bacteria. Manuka Honey also has a low pH of between 3.2 and 4.5, which is beneficial to heal and help balance the skin. It can help remove dead skin cells, while it's reported anti-inflammatory properties can reduce inflammation and redness. It is also a natural humectant meaning that it attracts and preserves moisture in the skin, maintaining a natural, dewy glow¹.
Here are three natural applications using Manuka Honey for Acne.
Manuka Honey Cleanser
- Put a small amount of Manuka Honey (½ tsp) in your hand.
- Add a few drops of water to dilute the mixture then apply directly onto your face.
(Research shows when Manuka Honey is diluted with water it still retains its antibacterial properties and the high sugar content is reduced.)
- Massage gently into your skin for 2 minutes.
- Rinse your face and pat dry with a clean towel.
Manuka Honey Mask
We recommend applying this mask straight after a shower or after you have cleansed your face to remove dirt and makeup.
- Using a clean makeup brush or clean fingers apply a generous amount (1 Tablespoon) of Manuka Honey to your face and down your neck. The layer should be reasonably thick and evenly spread.
To preserve the remaining honey for food use you may want to take a small amount of honey out of the jar for this honey mask application.
- Leave for 30 minutes. It does run slightly down your face as your body temperature melts the honey. Put a towel below your neck on your chest and lie down. This is a really good chance to have time out of your busy life. Read a book, listen to music or a podcast or even sleep while our Manuka Honey works its magic.
- Remove with a warm face cloth.
Manuka Honey Spot Treatment
- Mix 1 tsp of Manuka Honey and turmeric together in a small bowl to form a sparkling, golden paste.
- Apply using either your finger, a makeup brush or a cotton bud on to the affected areas. Ensure the utensil you use is clean - this is important.
- Leave on for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Wash off with a facecloth. For best results apply at least twice per week.
We recommend using Manuka Honey UMF™ 10+ or greater because it contains a higher strength of MGO and is reported to be more effective against harmful bacteria. However, for a more potent and effective treatment use a UMF™ 15+, UMF™ 20+ or UMF™ 24+ Manuka Honey. Make Manuka Honey part of your regular routine and document the improvement of your acne. You may see results within seven days but it may take longer, you need to be patient and persistent.
We would love to hear from you!
The information in this website is intended for your general information. It is not a substitute for medical advice from a healthcare professional and it is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease or condition.