One bonus to winter months are the delicious warming dishes! Everyone loves soup and especially pumpkin! This amazing Manuka honey and pumpkin soup is so easy and takes little time to prepare. It can easily be doubled to make a larger batch and will also freeze well. Manuka honey and pumpkin are a perfect compliment to one another and work so well in this soup recipe. The pumpkin can also be substituted with kumara (sweet potato) or carrot and can be made dairy-free by using coconut cream instead of cream.
Prep Time - 20 minutes
Cook Time - 1 hour
Total Time - 1 hour and 20 minutes
Serves - 6
- 1 kg of butternut pumpkin (also known as butternut squash), peeled, seeds removed and cut into wedges. The smaller the wedge the faster they will cook.
- 1/4 cup of Manuka honey
- 1/2 teaspoon of grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- salt and cracked pepper to taste
- 2 brown onions, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 sticks of celery, chopped
- 1.25 litres of vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon of rosemary, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of cream (coconut cream if dairy free)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 Fahrenheit).
- Place the pumpkin on a baking tray, drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the Manuka honey over the pumpkin. Finally, sprinkle nutmeg, cumin and salt and pepper. Massage all ingredients into the pumpkin so each wedge is evenly coated. Roast in the oven until the pumpkin is softened and cooked through. Set aside.
- In a large stockpot heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-low heat and add the onion, garlic and celery. Cook until the onion is softened and golden. To prevent the onion from burning, reduce the heat.
- Add the pumpkin to the pot along with the stock and rosemary. Stir to combine and then blend with a stick blender until smooth. Alternatively, pour the mixture into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return the pot to the heat and add the cream or coconut cream if using, stir through and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve with warm bread if desired. Enjoy!